We installed a new hot melt coating facility within the confines of a live laboratory for our client Smith & Nephew. The project involved a preparing a section of a live laboratory, ready to receive new specialist machinery, that applies coatings to surgical dressings. The construction activities for this project were:
- Working in controlled conditions within the laboratory “clean side”, install specialist antinox hoardings to create a ”dirty” enclosure to undertake the main body of the works.
- Install a Designed scaffold loading platform and access externally, to facilitate access for the new plant.
- Cladding removal and form an aperture in external envelope to gain access to the work enclosure.
- Structural Steelwork Strengthening to the floor below, within a live laboratory, to beef up the floor to take the new plant loadings.
- Mechanical & Electrical Alterations and upgrading works.
- Contract Lifting New Plant into the building from the Temporary access platform.
- New Internal Partition, Doors, decorations and floor finishes.
- Reinstate aperture in side of building and reinstate the work enclosure back to laboratory conditions, following plant commissioning.
This project was successfully completed working around the company's day to day running and working on the project three floors up.